Your floor is installed or refinished now. Feels great. But how can you keep it looking the same for a longer period of time? Here are some tips we hope are going to help you:
- use floor mats – tiny particles of dirt can act like sandpaper and scratch your hardwood floors. Placing a door mat (make sure it’s made especially for wood floors) at entryways and used to wipe your feet can help keep dirt away from your hardwood floors.
- keep it clean - the better you take care of it, the longer it will last. Use a high quality broom or vacuum cleaner to clean the dust, dirt, and other particles.
- use a professional hardwood floor cleaner - to remove occasional scuffs, dirt spots, and heel marks
- minimize water exposure - clean spills immediately
- minimize exposure to the sunlight – it can create change of color in time.
- no stiletto heels - They can dent the wood floors.
- trim your pet’s nails
- re-coat your floors – when your floor starts looking worn out it’s time to screen and recoat it. Screening is the process used to grind down your floor’s polyurethane finish, followed by one or a couple of fresh coats of polyurethane. If your floor is too damaged you need to sand and finish it.